Comparing m43 / APS / 35mm on 50mm 1.4 lenses

Started Feb 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Buchan-Grant
Buchan-Grant Senior Member • Posts: 1,985
Comparing m43 / APS / 35mm on 50mm 1.4 lenses

Okay, welcome to 'GEEKSVILLE ARIZONA'. These are 4 sets of comparison shots done at the weekend, they are completely unprocessed, converted straight from RAW to jpg using medium sharpening default (for screen). These were shot just as a test, and not intended to be used for anything other than that. (Please note any moronic comments about composition, make up, white balance or any type of PP will be given the attention they deserve:)

As a test its not that scientific I'm afraid, some of the shots were taken 20 minutes apart so it was not always possible to get the same proportions lighting or background. The purpose of these tests and one of the main reasons I got the PL25 recently was to see how close it could get to the look of the M9/50mm summilux, a look which I love. And to just see for myself, when shooting at my preferred distance with my favourite focal length, just how much of a difference the various sensor sizes made. The differences I'm looking at in particular are the style/quality of the bokeh and the way the focus drops from sharp to soft.

Of course we already know what the results will be, I just wanted to see for myself what the difference would be between not only 3 formats, but three kits costing approximately £1000/£2500/£7500. I wouldn't say these backgrounds were ideal for comparing these aspects but there was a wedding going on at the time and these were the only spaces available to shoot in.

The 3 setups are EP3/PL25mm - NEX5n/Leica 35mm Summilux (52.5mm efv) - Leica M9/50mm Summilux all shot wide open at low ISO (ignore the M9 data, it always just says what it wants to, they were all @ f1.4:)

Finally I think it would be great to add into such a comparison the Canon 5Dmk2/EF50mm 1.4 which I never rated that highly wide open and I feel sure would have been tanked by all 3 of these:) and the Leica Noctilux

The 4th and last set, compares the 25mm the 45mm 1.8 and the M9/50lux

-- hide signature --
 Buchan-Grant's gear list:Buchan-Grant's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +19 more
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-P3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MT
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow