Fuji X-S1 extremely disapointing

Started Feb 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
DS21 Senior Member • Posts: 2,084
Re: Nothing wrong with the X-S1, if you will use it properly.

PerH wrote:

DS21 wrote:

danny_only wrote:

DS21 wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:
Use spot-metering. Play with EV and DR settings.

It is not a toy camera so learn before you whine.

PerH wrote:

Now I finally got my X-s1. Today we had a very nice spring weather here in Sweden.

Therefore it was very fun to test the new camera. Unfortunately, it was extremely disapointing. The camera over expousure in all images. It does not help that minus exposure to compensate for bird photography, for example. Then, the entire image too dark. It also suffer from purple fringing. I do not think the camera to be fully developed by Fuji. Very bad of Fuji on such an expensive model to be called their "flagship"

I take much better pictures with my 7 year old Pana FZ30 or my Fuji HS10. I will return the camera if they can not quickly find a solution for the problem. Excuse poor English.

PerH

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

For $800 dollars this camera should be able to take decent pictures in auto mode. Why mess up the auto modes on the camera to make it a "photographers camera", what that has to do with PASM modes, etc, do they stop working properly on a "photographers camera" if auto mode is designed properly?

Those white bird over mud shots need -ve exposure compensation, regardless of brands of cameras, I have 3 long zoom Panasonic cameras (FZ1, FZ5 and TZ3), I will use -ve exposure compensation in his case, especially when Pattern Metering is used and the bird is occuping a small area of the pictures with relative dark background (same as PerH used when capturing those bird shots). Experienced photographers will dial in some -ve exposure compensation when capturing similar screen, especially when using pattern metering and Auto Mode.

It's a valid argument, but on some of these shots the bird is quite large compared to the background, and the overexposure is just the same. I think the camera simply meters too hot, especially compared to the cameras OP used before, and that is the basis of his disappointment. Also, used in default 12 Mp mode, x-s1 has extremely poor highlight control, and OP's attempts to compensate with -EV did not work for that reason, drop EV enough to save highlights, and the rest of the scene goes into dark. Note to Fuji: if the camera does not work all that well in 12 Mp mode, don't make it a default, or don't make it at all. Or, make a disclaimer that the camera is mostly for RAW shooters, with a steep learning curve to understand the EXR tricks.

Note to Fuji: if the camera does not work all that well in 12 Mp mode, don't make it a default, or don't make it at all. Or, make a disclaimer that the camera is mostly for RAW shooters, with a steep learning curve to understand the EXR tricks.

Exactly what I think to
PerH

I think at this point your best hope is to return the camera and get an used S100fs, or if you need long zoom, HS20EXR and save a lot of money in the process for similar image quality (in case of HS20, S100fs is even better). You only lose the excellent EVF of X-S1.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HZP
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow