Fuji X-S1 extremely disapointing

Started Feb 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Timur Born
Timur Born Veteran Member • Posts: 4,717
Re: Fuji X-S1 extremely disappointing - practise harder!

It's possible that the ooc JPGs have compressed highlight range, I didn't check for that. In the end both ooc JPG and RAW-to-JPG conversion have to compress the higher bit-rate raw files into a 8-bit (256 grey-steps) JPG, so compression at some point of the spectrum always happens. It's merely a question of which gamma corrections are being applied to the linear raw data. But sure, you get more control over gradations via raw file development while with JPGs you have to live with what the JPG engine decides for you.

What I checked was a HR DR 400 JPG vs. a RAW of 2 stops lower ISO. In order to get the same highlight protection (clipped white highlights turning into gradations) on the 2 stops lower ISO RAW that the DR 400 JPG offered I had to pull back exposure by another 0.5 - 0.7 stops for a total of around -2.5 to -2.7 EV. So clipped whites are protected by JPGs, too, but you have to live with the gamma corrections the camera chooses for you.

Timur Born's gear list:Timur Born's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HZP
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow