Has anyone abandoned the X10 for the G1X?

Started Feb 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,439
Ah sznajder

Unfortunately the problem for you is that when people post images others get to judge with their OWN eyes.

Not everyone judges pictures by the name on the camera. Only fanboys do.

sznajder wrote:

GaryJP wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/garyp/g1_x

Blow them up as big as you like

Personally I have had enough of the crap of the X10 which is the worst of the current compacts I own.

Your mileage may vary

Photofreak7 wrote:

You can of course shoot at a lower ISO with the X10 - that's why I mentioned the faster lens of the X10 under advantages. Those on the Canon forum even mention the slower lens of the G1X. But it's looking pretty good in nearly every other aspect.

a l b e r t wrote:
I played with G1x over the weekend. X10 is the far better camera.

I was shooting G1x at ISO 640 and it has got more shadow noise than X10 @ ISO 400.

The lens is not sharp enough to resolve all 14MP. X10's lens is able to resolve more detail and is more contrasty.

The larger sensor does not bode well at 112mm. At the tele end, it is 2-stop slower than X10's lens. So instead of shooting ISO 400, now you have to shoot at ISO 1600. And G1x at ISO 1600 is definitely more noisy than X10 at ISO 400.

Marco is poor, you can't shoot very close. You'll need another camera for marco.

X10 is lighter and more refine in everyway in actual use. The only problem is orbs in specular highlights and nite shots. Can work around it somewhat, and if it wasn't of the orbs problem, it'd have been the perfect P&S.

Photofreak7 wrote:

Looking at both it appears the G1X advantages are:

• much higher resolution vari-angle LCD

• larger sensor

• better IQ and at -full- resolution - especially at high ISO

• built-in ND filter

• presumably better video

• motorized zoom mechanism (may be an advantage to some)

• no more orbs - could be a disadvantage for some

disadvantages compared to X10:

• slower lens

• non-manual focus ring

• slower focus (?)

-- hide signature --

a l b e r t

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

Based on pictures you attached sharpness and color are not even near X10...it looks like you just defending your camera choice...definitely not worth few hundreds more over X10 .....I know.. there is you and your camera...happy images...

-- hide signature --

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Ernst Haas

http://garyp.zenfolio.com/p518883873/

GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow