D800 - a dying species

Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,483
thanks

thanks.

Yes, I'm on my feet for up to 12 hours a day. I don't carry every lens, but close. I usually lock the one or two I won't need in the hotel safe. My backpack distributes the weight just fine.

What a lot of people don't realize is that light itself has noise due to it's photon nature - it's partially random. The more light you "sample," the lower the noise.

Think of it as measuring rainfall. If the measurement instrument is tiny, it will measure each drop. Noisy and randomly varies. If the instrument is very large, it averages the rain out into a smooth measurement. Has nothing to do with the deficiencies of the rain gauge itself, it's the nature of the rain.

Sensors can only get so good. And they are getting close to perfection. At this point the performance is limited by light itself. So, at the most you can increase the capability of a sensor by another 50% or so, then maybe add better noise reduction, then you're stuck.

I have nothing against cell phones, prosumers, or 4/3rds. I just believe every tool has a place and a purpose. I don't expect a cell phone to replace a real camera, a prosumer to replace 4/3rd, a dSLR to replace medium format.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MM1
McJ
(unknown member)
ZZ9
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MM1
MM1
eNo
tko
MM1
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow