Superzoom Wish List
Superzoom cameras necessarily require trade-offs among:
size of zoom range
size of sensor (which affects image quality, speed, low-light capability)
size of lens (which affects the same things)
(I have probably missed a few things.)
Conon's SX40HS achieved a large zoom range (35x) without much distortion by using a small sensor.
Fujifilm's XS1 attempted to improve image quality by using a larger sensor and backing off on the zoom range (26x). One unwanted result of the larger sensor was distortion at the wide end (leaning buildings etc.).
Perhaps it is possible to make a better superzoom by meeting somewhere in the middle. Here are some of my musings about how Canon might possibly improve on the SX40HS:
1) Use a larger sensor but not as large as the Fuji XS1.
2) Use a smaller zoom range if necessary.
3) Use a larger-diameter lens. This would help limit distortion with the large sensor and large zoom range. It would also make the camera larger, heavier and more expensive. Because of the larger sensor and optics, pictures would have more detail, so that you could compensate for the loss of zoom range by cropping or using electronic zoom. The larger sensor and lens would improve image quality, low-light capability and speed.
4) Keep the build quality high. (There have been complaints in the Fuji forum about the XS1's lens and sensor).
5) Keep the price under $800 U.S.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Flower in flower by atdigit|
from Random Items Challenge 26
|Surface tension by atdigit|
from Right in the middle
|A Normal Dat at Thomas's Clap 2016-9379 by Andrew Maltzoff|
from Show us SCHOOL!