X100 suitable for portrait photography?

Started Feb 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
millsart Senior Member • Posts: 2,771
Or a 50 1.8 for under $100, or 85mm f1.8 for around $350 etc

If you move into a DSLR there are tons of great portrait length lenses to choose from

With the crop factor the 50mm f1.8 "plastic fantastic" works quite well for sub $100, or the 85mm f1.8 is phenomenal for a few hundred bucks.

But then your back to always carrying a camera bag etc with you etc.

Sure it works nice for portraits, but how many of lifes moments happen between portrait shooting ?

How many posed head and shoulders shots of your kids do you want verses how many shots that can show them and other people, them and their environment etc ?

I'm not knocking being able to take nice professional looking portrait shots of ones family, but how often does it need to be done really ? twice a year maybe ?

Something to think about before investing in a given camera system for that ability.

I wanted a waterproof compact for a while until I realized I live in the midwest, visit the beach maybe once a year if I'm lucky and really didn't need one lol

dmartin92 wrote:

The X Pro 1 with the 35mm f/1.4 lens, that would be more what you want. But it would be a lot more expensive. Around $2500.

On you could get a Canon 1100D and put the EF 35mm f/2 ... for around $1100, I think.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow