D800 - a dying species

Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Waldemar Senior Member • Posts: 1,196
Re: BTW

RRJackson wrote:

You know what's going to be really hip? When much larger sensors become possible. Right now it's tough to get reasonable yields on sensors much larger than 135. There are only a couple of sources for sensors that cover the full 645 aperture. As far as I know there are no photographic sensors larger than that yet. Imagine how cool a digital 6x9 folder would be, though. When sensors are available and the electronics are small and light enough to make something like that possible it will really be an interesting time to be alive and taking photos.

-Rob

I think it could soon become be a must for Canon and Nikon to go larger than 35mm, i.e. into the digital medium format. I mean, really, 35 MP on a "tiny" full frame sensor - with what glass? O.k., that´s speculation right now, but I´m pretty sure that with 95% of the available glass you get no more visible and useful resolution from a 35 MP body than from a 5 D II. What you get is just more digital mush. It´s like scanning film with 8000 dpi. So what should come after the 35 MP 5 D Mark III? A 5D Mark IV with 50 MP? That would be complete non-sense IMHO. Using standard L-glass you can rezz up a 21 MP output to 35 MP and will never notice a difference to a native 35 MP shot. Back then in appr. 2004 I´ve stopped using the 28-135mm IS lens on my 11 MP 1Ds Mark I because the output was just unacceptable. Nobody can use macro lenses all of the time and even those can´t resolve anything beyond appr. 25 - 28 MP on full frame.

Anyway, I use both 40 D and 5D II and never think of resolution when choosing which to shoot with. It´s just a total non issue. Noise, DOF and the 17mm TS-E make me choose one of the bodys. The TS-E gives a more natural look to ancient architecture when used on a crop body, for example. The 5D II has less noise and gives me slightly better skin colors, too.

Also we should get rid of the silly sRGB color space for web use. Any hardware sold today is able to display AdobeRGB, but most of the software can´t or won´t.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waldemar

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MM1
McJ
(unknown member)
ZZ9
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MM1
MM1
eNo
tko
MM1
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow