D800 - a dying species

Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
RRJackson
RRJackson Senior Member • Posts: 2,555
Not so much, really.

Waldemar wrote:

The DSLR market will shrink to the pro segment (i.e. nearly nothing...) within the next 2-3 years. Once the video resolution reaches 4k the pros will shoot sports and news only on video and extract stills for web and newspaper use. That leaves more or less only studio and fashion work for the big ole 30+ MP DSLR dinosaurs.

There are a couple of really wrong-headed things here. First off, resolution is not going to stop mattering. Cameras with 30-50 megapixels will probably be the norm five years from now which means larger sensors are going to become more and more attractive. The more resolution, the less "digital" the image looks and once the sensors are able to control latitude better (which successive generations of sensors undoubtedly will) there isn't going to be much interest in going backwards on resolution. Yes, it will tax the glass, but again it will be less so with larger sensors.

Then the other thing is the idea of a "DSLR dinosaur." We took a giant step backwards in terms of portability when digital arrived. For 30 years my "Full Frame" camera was an Olympus OM-2n that weighed 18 ounces. My D700 weighs 38 ounces and is larger in every dimension. I had a 5D for a while and that was still 31 ounces. DSLRs can lose a lot of flab. Up until recently they've had to pack a lot of relatively heavy components into a DSLR, but the size and power requirements are coming down. Leica has managed to release a "Full Frame" camera at 20 ounces, though obviously without a prism and mirror box. I predict a day before too long when DSLR sizes come down to the more reasonable sizes and weights of our film cameras a decade ago. Back when I bought into the OM system it was typical of Olympus users to refer to the CaNikOlta Wünderbrick form factor, but those cameras mostly seem light by today's standards (though at 42 ounces plus batteries my F5 is still heavier than just about anything a man should ever be expected to carry).

So yeah, I do agree that the D800, 5DII and the like will probably fade in time, but I really expect the concept of a 135-format DSLR to continue on in a smaller form factor for quite some time to come.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MM1
McJ
(unknown member)
ZZ9
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MM1
MM1
eNo
tko
MM1
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow