Some thoughts on the D800 vs. the D800E. Most of us better off with D800.

Started Feb 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
RudivanS Veteran Member • Posts: 4,459
Re: Moire issues and AA filter

j233 wrote:

I think it would be important to point out that the difference in sharpness between the d800 and the d800e is minimal, there is an interview with a Nikon representative available on youtube if you search "Nikon d800 hands on preview", who describes that difference as “a tiny bit”. Also, looking at the comparison on Nikon’s web site, just look at the size of the portion magnified to show the difference between the E and the regular versions., it’s a very small portion magnified between 10 and 20 times, that means that in order to see the diiffernce between the E and the non E you have to use a loupe or make huge (really huge) prints and then get very close to compare. It’s also important to note that on Nikon’s site they specifically say that the AA filter on the D800 was designed to allow “the astounding 36.3 megapixels unleash their potential through an optimized balance between sharpness and effectively prevented moiré and false color”. I believe that only a small percentage or photographers will may be benefit with the E version but there’s no doubt that by introducing two versions of this amazing camera Nikon got a lot of extra attention and a lot of people like us are talking about it. It was a very clever move from the marketing point of view as well. In short, believe that landscapes and studio shots taken with the non E version, with the D800 will be excellent and very sharp too. Sorry for the long coment. It’s just my opinion, of course. Right or wrong, I hope it helps the discussion.

I would tend to agree. Photographic logic tells me so
Well put j233.
Rudi - freelancer

RudivanS's gear list:RudivanS's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Canon Pixma Pro-10
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow