D800 - best budget lenses?

Started Feb 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
windsprite
windsprite Senior Member • Posts: 2,626
Re: D800 - best budget lenses?

dominikov wrote:

However I stand by what I said in that if I was forced to compromise somewhere then I'd prefer to do so with the camera body vs. the glass.

I'll take a D7000 with one of the 2.8 zooms or fast primes over a D800 with cheap kit lens any day of the week.

Maybe that's where you and some of the rest of us are getting our wires crossed, because if you read the thread closely, you'll see that nobody here is talking about necessarily using "cheap kit lenses" on the D800 (unless they're really, really good...)! It's not a case of D800 + 70-300 ED against the D7000 + 70-200 VRII. Nikon has a long history in the business, and there are plenty of lenses from days gone by that are professional-quality but can be bought very cheaply, because they've been replaced with something that autofocuses, or something that has a faster AF capability, or something that is stabilized, or whatever.

In terms of image quality, there is NO WAY I would prefer a D7000 with a $1300 AF-S 300/4 over a D800 with a $450 second-hand AF 300/4.

Besides that, I think it's okay to prioritize your lens purchases and spend a lot in the areas that are important to you while compromising in other areas. For example, I'm interested in shooting fast-moving subjects, so I splurged a bit on the telephoto end and bought an AF-S 300/4 and 70-200 VR for my D700 (though I wish now that I'd known enough about Nikon then to save several hundred dollars by buying the old screw-drive 80-200/2.8 instead). However, I don't have unlimited funds, and I simply will not ever fork out for a 24-70/2.8. The range is not as important to me, and my $200 Tamron 28-75 weighs a lot less and does a great job. If I do get the D800 (I'm not sure I will), I expect eye-popping results from my 300/4 in particular, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the Tamron 28-75 on that body, because I'm certain that even if it doesn't take full advantage of the high resolution, it will be even better than it is on the D700.

Another point is that the D800 is not a one-trick pony that does high resolution and nothing else. There are many other reasons to want this camera The AF likely has been improved over the D700. There's a 100% VF. It does video. The high ISO will be better (if you're comparing at the same output size). The DR will definitely be better. You gain the ability to do high-resolution 1.2x and DX crops. Etc.

I could go on and on, but hopefully you can understand now where some of us are coming from?

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +42 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
mee
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow