D800 - best budget lenses?

Started Feb 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Fullframer Contributing Member • Posts: 813
Re: I like the 18-55VR

gatorowl wrote:

LOL, the previous chart indicates that the 50mm 1.8G hits its max at f5.6 not f8, so no worries there.

Thanks for all the quick responses.

For me a $3k camera is a stretch, and I don't have an extra $2k for Nikon pro-level lens. Even if I did, those lenses are monsters both in weight and size. I'd much rather carry around 2-3 high-quality prime lenses than touting around one or more of the three monster Nikon pro-level zooms. Of course, YMMV.

If you are going to spend the $$ , you put it in the glass not the body. If you are going to buy an expensive body and go cheap on the glass (which i disagree with) at least go with a 50mm f1.8 prime which will give you the same quality as pro lens at 50mm for 1/10th the price.

John Motts wrote:

gatorowl wrote:

My concern is whether the D800 will magnify the difference between center and edge quality? If true, then other than portrait shots, it may be necessary to stop down to f8 or higher all less-than-perfect lenses in order to get satisfactory results.

So, my 50mm f1.8G, which is amazing in the center, may not be good enough for landscape shooting at apertures bigger than f8.

If your 50mm f/1.8G is good enough at any given size on your current camera, then it will be at least as good, if not better, on the D800.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
mee
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow