D800 - best budget lenses?

Started Feb 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Hawaii-geek
Hawaii-geek Veteran Member • Posts: 8,066
mfbernstein, Agree ... It's ALL about compromise

mfbernstein, Agree ... It's ALL about compromise

imho, the 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 VRII yes, compromise

And you need to look at all of the components thru the "filter" of what is important to you.

For me it's AF in Low light. and consistancy of AF ... Zoom , probably yes for flexability.

And if I can "Split the Differance" by buying a High Resolution body that improves the performance (or percieved sharpness) of my compromise choice of lens ... GREAT !

The D800 does NOT hurt the Speed to AF on the first shot , and in fact it will improve it in Low Light. and probably in sports/Events. but, it will not be less vs the D700 ... except for that "trade" of 2fps with grip and DX for higher Res at that DX crop.

• Now , if a FW update gives us a 5mp 2.7 crop at 8fps ... then ZERO loss of D700 features.

just my opinion,
HG

mfbernstein wrote:

Everything is a compromise in some fashion. However, I take exception to the idea that larger more expensive lenses will necessarily be much better than smaller less expensive alternatives. Indeed, in some scenarios, the smaller lenses may even offer better quality. This thread is about finding them.

And of course it's worth remembering that the pro lenses everybody suggests are also compromises in their own fashion. Some are optimized for flexibility in framing (zoom), some for close focus (ironically not the 105/2.8 micro), some for wide aperture (the 24/1.4 is edged by the 17-35/2.8 at 24mm for sharpness).

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/

Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7R +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
mee
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow