How will Olympus sell any more EP3s?

Started Feb 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Yohan Pamudji Senior Member • Posts: 2,874
Form factor and price

Form factor: not everybody wants a DSLR style body. Although I accept the need for the DSLR hump in the E-M5 and don't mind it in general (I own 2 DSLRs alongside my E-P1), I prefer the rangefinder/P&S body style for m4/3 and would probably choose an E-Px at $200 less than an E-M5 all else being equal minus the built-in EVF.

Of course we know that not all else would be equal since the E-M5 has a lot of bells and whistles that not even the E-P5 is likely to have like 5-axis IBIS, weather sealing, etc., which will make the MSRP of the E-P5 very interesting to watch.

Then there's the price. Right now the difference is $200, but I'll guarantee the E-P3 will see a price drop very soon. Street price is still at MSRP of $900 right now, but it will certainly drop soon. While a $200 difference is a "might as well go for it" amount for many, $300-$400 difference and you're talking real money percentage-wise. The comparison looks rather unfavorable at the moment but Olympus will fix the pricing accordingly.

I agree with some other posters who said the E-P3 is overpriced. I think they're selling it mainly on looks as a semi-luxury m4/3 camera. Well the E-M5 has rather taken up the luxury spot, freeing up the E-P3 and subsequent E-Px bodies to move a bit lower in price.

E-PM1: $400
E-PL3: $550 - $600
E-P3: $700 - $750
E-M5: $1100

... is a more palatable pricing strategy IMO. I think we'll see something similar happen very soon to shift the 2011 m4/3 bodies to make way for the 2012 refreshed versions with the 16MP sensor, at which point sadly the prices will go back up.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
odl
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow