Canon 70-200 f4 IS vs Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX OS

Started Feb 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Fabian628 Senior Member • Posts: 2,447
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS vs Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX OS

GurneyHalleck wrote:

Hi,

I am in the market for a 70-200 mm lens. I often see comparisons between the Canon 2.8 IS II and the according Sigma version, and the Sigma has obviously no chance.

Now the Canon 2.8 IS is definitively out of my price range. How does the Canon f/4 IS model competes against the Sigma?

The question for me, is the the one stop advantage of the Sigma worth the extra weight? Is the IQ at f4 equal or worse with the Sigma.

why are you asking us this?? you have to ask yourself this! how often will you need a faster shutter speed. yes max aperture is good, but if you only shoot a few times in low light per year, maybe its not worth it. Portability wise, the difference between the two wont see you pocketing your camera and the other not; if you take either lens and dslr you are going to commit to carrying a larger load. Does extra 700g or so make much difference? I dont know.

If I could say I'd only shoot indoor sports or only wildlife I know what I would chose, but I am an amateur and have a high mix of situation. Kiddos on the beach, school shows, zoo visits, travelling...

Google said:

Sigma:
+
f/2.8
OS

-
heavy
lower IQ at 2.8

Canon f4:
+
light
L glass (whatever that means ;-))
one of the best IQ of zoom lenses
IS

-
4/f
color (I know...shame on me)

I currently have a 60D with Sigma 30mm 1.4, the Canon 15-85 IS and a 430 EX II, which I will keep.

After I have decided on the 70-200 I will sell my Tamron 70-300 VC which I am not happy with (VC is nice but speed and IQ are not great).

I also intend to use a TC1.4 (maybe a 2x if I go for the 2.8) later. I don't consider a 2.8 non-is.

Does someone has some real world experience for me-maybe had both lenses? I am leaning towards the Canon, but I am afraid to miss the 2.8 sometimes. Especially with the prices so close.

Thanks for your ideas

it sounds like your use would probably suit the f/4 canon lens. If you buy second hand you can always sell and upgrade later for little or no loss.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41942460@N04/sets/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow