D800 - a dying species

Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
migus Contributing Member • Posts: 807
Re: D800 - a dying species

oh dear small is innovative... and innovative but not small is not innovative...

small = new designs, enabling new apps, far beyond the initial scope...

We had mobile phones in the 80s (60s military), bigger and heavier than bricks - having a single application - while the battery lasted....

Today we use their 50x smaller progeny also to take pics, PPS them, post them on the WWW... or to take our EKG, connect to doctor for immediate assistance (lives were already saved!), and thousands of unexpected new uses

"not small is not innovative": that's a good point here. Small is a great challenge for physical design, optics and cooling... those liveview sensors run hotter, keeping noise under control is tough; also need higher Bw and better batteries in those tiny NEX-like bodies... these challenges add up quickly. They arguably vanish given the luxury of a 2-lbs SLR body... which i left home last night going up an Alp in snowshoes

However great in its features (a dream just 5 yrs ago), the D800 arguably invents little. Instead it threshes around its mass like "I'm the apex, T-Rex, of mass-produced digital cameras: Biggest Mp, fastest AF, coolest pro-video... dSLR was and remain the King Kong of this Hill"... The original 5D is still my favorite; i also lust after the D800E... and yet i know they'll be both left home 90% of my daily runs, alpine tours, ski trips. I already lost half my knee cartilages, so i try to save what's left me by hauling smaller (still inferior in IQ) gear.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MM1
McJ
(unknown member)
ZZ9
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MM1
MM1
eNo
tko
MM1
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow