Huge limitation of the OM-D

Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
d3xmeister Senior Member • Posts: 1,895
Huge limitation of the OM-D

I have owned for many years 4/3 gear, cameras, HG and SHG glass, flashes, the wholes etup.

Anyway, I love the OM-D concept, I've been drooling over this camera since they presented it. Already thinking of pre order one, and not only the camera, but a serious investment in m4/3 system.

There were a few things I did not liked about O-MD.

I hate the EVF feeling, although I understand the usability. I won't shoot interlaced video ever in my life, I rather kill myself. The OM-D only shoots 720 progressive.

I can live with that, no camera is perfect. The only thing I really NEED to work is tracking AF. I cannot use a camera that does not have usable continuous auto focus, some VERY important pictures I take rely on that. I don't need high fps so 4.1 is plenty for me.

From the comments it seems that C-AF really works in 4.1 fps mode, so that's great.

So what's the limitation you ask ?

Well, I just found that this camera cannot be set to any ISO below 200. That and combined with a maximum 1/4000 SS.

This for me is mind blowing stupid. Olympus must be missing a memo. So you have a system that due to it's format compromises the possibilities of shallow DOF and your top of the line camera it's only capable of 1/4000 at ISO 200 ? That is just crazy.

So I have to wait for cloudy days to use my expensive fast lenses, like the Leica f/1.4 or the 45mm f/1.8 or the upcoming 75mm f/1.8 ?

I know this because I used f/2 lenses like the 35-100mm a lot, and on my E-620 I had to go to ISO 100 and 1/4000 to shoot at f/2 in a day with beautiful light. And my images were still a little over exposed but just by a bit, fixable in RAW.

Too bad, I will not buy a camera that will not let me use my expensive fast lenses the way I want to, and the way they should work.

The new Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8 has superb optics, costs 500 $, probably half of the price of the 75mm f/1.8 Zuiko. Yes it's a BIG FF lens, and I would pay more to get compact, but the thing is the O-MD fast lens combination will not work in daylight.

d3xmeister's gear list:d3xmeister's gear list
Nikon D5100
Olympus E-620 (EVOLT E-620)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJL
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow