D800 - a dying species

Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
JackM
JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 7,998
Re: But I can't do this with a point-n-shoot

topstuff wrote:

I really don't think it will be long before you can get very close. Fast lenses in m4/3 are coming and decent 3200 ISO is'nt far off either.

I am not a m4/3 user I would stress, but i like what I see.

Having travelled the world with a battered bag stuffed with Nikons ( and then Canon 5D2) and fast glass, I welcome the day when we can get close to this quality in a lighter package.

In that sense i can see where the OP is coming from.

Don't get me wrong, these are great images. But I fervently believe that great images like those and a large FF camera are not mutually exclusive. Smaller, lighter cameras ARE getting there. And thats a great thing.

I agree that a smaller package is desirable (that's not what she said). I agree that ISO 3200+ in m4/3 or smaller is coming. Maybe the servo AF will get there too. But you're simply not going to get 200mm f/2.8 or 35mm f/1.4, etc, without a large, heavy hunk of glass, and a motor to focus it. Until we invent lenses with some other material and construction, like liquid or plasma or Fresnel or something that hasn't been discovered yet, We will not get away from large lenses. So we may as well have a large-ish camera to handle them.

Or we could invent a lens and sensor that is the same size, brightness, and sensitivity as the human eye. But lovers of thin DOF and bokeh will be disappointed.

-- hide signature --

"$3000 should buy a camera competent at all photographic tasks." - gipper51 on the 5DIII

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MM1
McJ
(unknown member)
ZZ9
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MM1
MM1
eNo
tko
MM1
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow