D800 - a dying species

Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,116
Re: I don't agree at all.

Slideshow Bob wrote:

Why would anyone want a "very, very small" camera? The smaller they are, the more difficult they are to hold steady. The smaller they are, the more unbalanced they are with the lens (which, if you're right, will be the same size and weight as current FF lenses). The 5DII / D800 size is perfect for a DSLR. I find the Canon 1 series or Nikon Dx a little large for everyday shooting, although if you're using a long tele, they do tend to work amazingly well.

For months I have been trying and trying to use my Sony NEX 5n to replace some of the work my 5D Mark II does around the bench at basketball games. It is very awkward to use. A decent lens (not the plastic lenses Sony makes for it) weighs far more than the camera so I'm mostly holding a lens, not the camera. I can't imagine using a really large telephoto lens with it. Of course if these cameras are to replace all DSLRs then they will be used with large telephoto lenses.

The buttons require the use of my finger tips -- they're too small to press with my fingers. The placement of these buttons is only to keep the size of the camera down. They are not arranged for easy use by humans. Many of us regularly hit the wheel down button when picking up the camera.

Changing lenses requires two hands, one to turn the lens and another to keep the light camera from turning. You hold the other lens with your third hand I guess. Forget removing a lens with one hand like you can with a normal size DSLR.

As I mentioned before, using an electronic viewfinder to track action has a long long way to go before it's any use for sports photography. The NEX cameras will display what happened a fraction of a second ago. By the time you see it in the EVF, it's often too late to pan to where the action has moved because it's already someplace else. It is absolutely impossible to use it to track the ball in basketball unless you use a ridiculously wide lens.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MM1
McJ
(unknown member)
ZZ9
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MM1
MM1
eNo
tko
MM1
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow