D800 - a dying species

Started Feb 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bassman2003 Contributing Member • Posts: 971
Re: D800 - a dying species

To the OP, I think we will get changes in this space, but smaller is not always better. As already stated, I actually prefer a larger body for a lot of shooting situations. I have no need to carry my camera around in a pocket.

Also, your path is a path of compromises. Larger, heavy optics are just better. That is why professionals use them. I have the feeling that you want best of the photo world in a tiny box. That might happen in the distant future, but as for right now physics is still at play.

I see this in the video world. Everybody seems to want these tiny bodies or even shooting with these same DSLRs. And what do you see? A cottage industry of gizmos to be able to hold the things steady to shoot with! Outside of static cinema production I get the best footage from using a full size broadcast camera with a large barrel focus ring on the lens. The camera has inertia when it moves and you use it with more muscles. This makes it easier to control.

My overall point is that professional usage of imaging products will always have a different set of needs than consumer use. So I hope you are not correct!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MM1
McJ
(unknown member)
ZZ9
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MM1
MM1
eNo
tko
MM1
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow