Inexpensive flash options for D5000

Started Feb 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
dbrowdy Regular Member • Posts: 138
Inexpensive flash options for D5000

Hi all,

I'm looking to expand my photographic repertoire by purchasing a Speedlight flash for my D5000. I'm trying to get the most bang for the buck so I'm looking at getting a used Nikon flash or a used off-brand one.

Of course I realize that value means more than just purchasing the cheapest one. If a new SB-700 is the best option, I'll just save up until it's in my budget. But I'm hoping I can find something for cheaper that will suit my needs.

One question I have in particular is about the SBxx line of flashes. They're pretty cheap (used) compared to the SB-xxx ones and I'm wondering how well they perform comparatively.

I'm strongly considering the SB-400 but I think I'd like the ability to turn sideways, not just up. Beyond that, I'd like one that will work with the Nikon CLS for super ease of use. Thoughts?

(PS - All my photographic learning these days is geared towards eventually taking great baby photos in about 6 months.)

dbrowdy's gear list:dbrowdy's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF)
Nikon D5000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow