X-10 canvas-like texture in dark areas

Started Dec 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Veteran Member • Posts: 6,880
X-10 canvas-like texture not seen in Raw files

I tried shooting full res (Large image size, fine JPG) in Raw+JPG.

The JPG shot showed the canvas-like texture, and the Raw version did not show it.

I used the Fuji X10-specific version of Silkypix (came with the camera) to develop and oversharpen the Raw file. Then I saved it as a JPG.

I used Photoshop elements 9 to crop both versions, then applied sharpening to both to really bring out any texturing that might be going on.

Texture is visible in the top area of the crop in the JPG shot, but normal oversharp noise is visible in the version processed from the raw file. First shot is JPG out of camera, and second shot is processed from the raw file.

So, based on these results, it appears that the canvas-like texturing is an artifact of the in-camera JPG engine. Either that, or it is efficiently removed from the raw file by Silkypix. At least, now I know a way to use all 12 megapixels without this problem.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow