X-10 canvas-like texture in dark areas

Started Dec 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
OP PabloF Senior Member • Posts: 1,047
Re: X-10 canvas-like texture in dark areas

Tom Schum wrote:

I think you have put the X10 through all the modes that result in this effect. I am still learning. I think you are more interested in finding the limits of the camera than I am, and I am just trying to make pictures without flaws. So we have different approaches.

Well, I have just done a few tests, I'm not a pixel-peeper, but since I noticed this right away and since I have never seen this effect on any of the L size jpg shots I've seen in the DPReview samples or in any other test shots I've come across on the web I have been wondering if my camera has a problem, which could affect images even shot in RAW or jpg M size. I have posted a comment/question on the DPR X-10 preview but got no answer. I hope that when the DPR review comes out we will get conclusive indications one way or another.

For now, I am taking my photos in JPG Medium Fine so I can avoid the effect. For the low light shooting I like to do, there are no other options I can use. All the other options I've tried so far are giving me the effect. It's kind of depressing if I think about it, but the X10 works very well in this one mode so I am ok for now.

Its really amazing to see this effect. I have not seen this in any other digital camera I have ever owned up until now.

I agree, I am also using M mode only to avoid this. A bit disappointing, considering also the orbs issue which has ruined a few photos I have taken and is a limiting factor for me as I like shooting into the light, one of the conditions which is orb-prone

Still hoping for a firmware fix...

PabloF's gear list:PabloF's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow