sony a77 should I or shouldn't I?

Started Feb 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Steve FStop
Steve FStop Senior Member • Posts: 1,021
Re: sony a77 should I or shouldn't I?

justshootmetc wrote:

I am seriously considering purchasing the sony a-77 with kit lens plus a 70-200 f2.8 lens. I still am unsure if I should go sony or nikon. I am a serious enthusiast. I shoot mostly sports photography and often in low light settings. I also shoot location, natural light portraits. The latter I believe the sony a-77 will do fine with. It is the low light, action performance I am concerned with. I read a lot of chatter about more noise at higher ISO (above 1600) on the sony as well.

Nikon D3X combo would be great, IF you have the budget.

Also, which lens performs better? Sigma or Tamron 70-200?

I had the Sigma 70-200 and now I have the Sony version, I originally chose the Sigma over the Tamron because I wanted the faster AF and SSM functions. I then upgraded to the Sony version when a good opportunity later presented itself.

What are your thoughts?

Below is a night indoor basketball sequence, shot with the a77 and the Sony 70200G @ 1600 ISO, 1/250 and f/3.2;

I am not a pro sports shooter, but I was rather pleased with these results from the a77.

I hope this helps....

Cheers
Steve

Steve FStop's gear list:Steve FStop's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a6000 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow