Friedman's book on A77/A65 is ready

Started Feb 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
William Porter
William Porter Senior Member • Posts: 1,730
Re: Friedman's book on A77/A65 is ready

I'm not sure I understand what's wrong with the way the A77 does it — that is, I'm not sure what's wrong with the "gap."

As a general rule, I don't think it's a good idea to provide a hardware switch (not a toggle, but a switch with fixed positions) AND a software solution. I mean, it wouldn't make sense to set to AF-S using the Fn menu, while the hardware switch is set to M. It seems to me that the A77 does it RIGHT.

(I'm now aware that it is possible to engage manual focus temporarily via the AF/MF button, even if the hardware switch is set to MF. But it's only possible with some lenses, and to be honest, I think it's a strange and confusing idea.)

If the complaint is that the gap is ugly, I would disagree about that too. The gap is interesting and it was clever of Friedman to notice it. But what was Sony supposed to do? They've got a fixed number of options to display in the Fn menu. They very reasonably want them to be the same in the A65 and A77 — as much as possible. So they simply removed the setting on the A77, since it's not appropriate there. I suppose they could have put something else in its place but I don't think it is a proof of slovenly development that they didn't.

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow