Puzzling memberships, input request

Started Feb 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
christian jacob
christian jacob Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: To reply/comment on English speaking...

DK Baker wrote:

Without a doubt there are sites all over the world hosted in the native language of virtually every country in the world. If a member isn't fluent in English, they should find a site that is in their language.

For me, the appeal of dpreview challenges lies in the international character, to have entries committed and judged by people from all over the world.

Also, the quality and quantity of knowledge of the participiants in the technical fora here is really great, I believe there is less so in a pakistani forum (and there is at least on great photographer who enters challenges from pakistan here).

On the other hand, I don't see what writing tons of mostly unneccessary messages should have to do with being allowed to enter challenges; I interpret that more as a subconcious wish to limit the participiants to a smaller circle and to impede strangers to enter that circle (a behaviour inborn to us since the time we were apes in the savanna, but one should strife to counter that).

Furthermore, intercultural differences in the willingness to show ones possible ineptitude not only in photos, but also messages about them may in some cultures not be as great as in western society, as may the willingness to admit that ones own aesthetic judgement may not be absolute and everything diverting from it a possible sign of cheating.

(Are English-speaking photographers inherently superior photographers? I don't think so.)

I'm pretty sure that teaching members to communicate in English is outside of the scope of DPR's site goals.

I propose a zero tolerance rule for that over-used and abused excuse.

So, indirectly, only people halfway fluent in english should be allowed to participate in challenges?
Do you propose a test?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow