Which color pigment printers give "exhibition quality" black and white

Started Feb 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NancyP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,577
Which color pigment printers give "exhibition quality" black and white

I am looking for suggestions. I am in the market for a decent printer, color management system, and monitor. I am a printing newbie, and expect that I will be facing a learning curve similar to that I faced doing wet work more years ago than I want to admit. I will be facing a learning curve with color management as well. I like learning the tech stuff and tweaks, and don't want to "outgrow" a "beginnner's printer".

I want to be able to print both color and BW exhibition quality prints, with perhaps 2/3 color, 1/3 BW usage. I suspect that I will be proofing 8" x 10" most of the time, and a 13" x 17" format would be adequate for most of my work. I would prefer to be able to print some panoramas with width under 13", obviously requiring roll format, but may end up outsourcing panoramas and of course any large prints to my local and excellent commercial photo-printing lab (Allied Photocolor, St. Louis).

SO, black and white printers - Epson 9 ink (photoK, matteK, 2 light Ks) system with 3880 and R3000? Canon 10 ink system (PK, MK, 1 light K) with 9500 II, and 12 ink system (PK, MK, 3 light Ks) with upcoming Pixma Pro1? Does BW quality automatically increase with additional Ks (more than 1 light K).

I gather that all of these printers do a fine job with color.

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow