The P7100 did extremely well in a difficult photographic environment...

Started Jan 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 17,672
The P7100 did extremely well in a difficult photographic environment...

Hello all:

Hope all is well in your part of the world.

The other night I was asked to photograph a fund-raiser at a private home for a young state senate candidate. Prior to going to this home (where I had never been before), I had assumed (wrongly so) that the walls and ceilings would be a typical white or off-white color pattern often found in most homes.

Upon arriving at this 5000 sq. ft. home, I soon discovered that I was dead wrong. Every room seemed to have a kaleidoscope of colors - ranging from green to yellow to blue - you name it - to include some of the ceilings (where white is so important for bounce flash techniques). I almost panicked because my method of flash photography involves mostly bounce flash techniques and I realized that varying color casts with these colors could ruin my efforts. I did get the prior word that the ceilings would be high in some of the rooms, so instead of bringing along the SB-400 (which often works superbly), I brought the SB-600 instead. So what to do next...

Luckily, I brought along a custom brackets flash bracket which allows me the flexibility to use flash in a variety of scenarios - and I also had my Stofen Omnibounce cap. But then I realized that the variety of lighting they had in this home (up to 2 to 3 different lighting types in the same room) made things a bit more difficult for WB. But what the heck, I proceeded ahead anyway.

I shot everything in RAW at ISO's 100 through 800 (800 being available light shots) indoor and outdoors. I used the SB-600 in bounce mode - often swiveling the head to the side if a white wall happened to be available to one side. I added the Stofen cap in rooms where the ceilings were 20' or higher. Background areas where the flash didn't cover often had a greenish/yellowish cast and there was nothing I could do about it after-the-fact (without it affecting the main scene) - but the main parts of the scene were balanced just right.

When all the was done, I was pleasantly surprised to see how well an enthusiasts model like the P7100 did. I took a total of 364 images and the P7100 battery was still going strong - but what was most impressive were the 4 Sanyo Eneloop Hybrid (long term charge models) batteries that I had in the SB-600, as they lasted and lasted through all 364 images (and still have plenty of power left with almost immediate recycling). Boy do I strongly believe in these pre-charged, hybrid type of batteries.

Images are on the next posting - enjoy.

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X10 +42 more
Nikon Coolpix P7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow