How I fell for Foveon (first posting)

Started Jan 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Joerg V Contributing Member • Posts: 610
How I fell for Foveon (first posting)

Hi,

after eagerly reading this forum for more than a year, I guess it's time to join and share pictures and thoughts.

Please allow me to indroduce myself: My name is Joerg, I am a 37 year old computer scientist living in Rosenheim/Germany. Two years ago I joined the "Foveon cult" pretty much by a fluke. After cluelessly using a bridge camera in spray-and-pray-mode for quite a long time I got to the point where I wanted to make better pictures. Having no idea about photography, my conclusion was: bigger camera = better pictures. I was about to join the "legion of Canon", when I stumbled over an article named "exotic quality cameras" in "Der Spiegel" - a newspaper magazine that only occasionally features articles about cameras (and those usually lack specialized knowledge). Anyway, the article talked about the DP1 and praised it for its IQ. I was intrigued and got a DP1 from the Sigma rental service. 30 minutes later the bottom line was: "WTF? They [Sigma] cannot be serious." The image quality was superb but I got the impression that I was missing pictures all the time: no macro for the insect on the flower, no zoom for the mountain far away, no image stabilization for my shaky hands, raw development, slow focus etc. I returned the DP1 in frustration. But kept on pondering... all the time: "silly cam... but the images!!! quirky... but the images... slow, but the images!!!" It took a lot of contemplation until I realized that it wasn't the DP1 that was wrong but it was me and the DP1 was the perfect tool to learn about photography. Two years later my DP1 and I have come a long way and there is still a much longer road to go.

These pictures were taken a week ago. There was heavy snowfall on Friday evening, so I decided to get up very early on Saturday. It was freezing but worth it.

Cheers

Joerg

Joerg V's gear list:Joerg V's gear list
Sigma DP1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
Sigma DP1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow