Had a play with X100 today!

Started Jan 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
Mark Evans Kent Regular Member • Posts: 155
Had a play with X100 today!

Hi Everyone,

I'm an ex-dSLR owner. I had a Canon 350D when they were new, got a couple of expensive lenses for it then the lust for photography left me. I was tired of carrying lenses and so on, sold them and 'downgraded' to a G12.

I love my little G12, had some cracking shots. However, I've been drawn to the X100 since it was released - being in a better financial situation than before, I went to John Lewis in Bluewater where a fab girl gave me the x100 for 'as long as you want' to try.

In the next 30 minutes, I took around 40 shots (all in RAW - didn't realise it had been set to this!). Tested various apertures, focusing, ISOs and shutter speeds.

While I'm not a pro, I was a little baffled that so many people on here complain about the focus speed - while I only use a little G12, I didn't find the focus to be painfully slow or wildly inaccurate either. From the 40+ pictures I took, it missed 1. This shot was across the entire sales floor so I forgave it that.

I'll admit that when I tried the manual focus, it was damned slow!

I've also heard some people mention that the shutter lag is long, but again I didn't see there to be any kind of serious lag. While I'm sure it's not as fast as the equivalent dSLR I don't think these are intended for the same market, so is this a problem?

I'd love to hear opinions from people who have upgraded from smaller P&S like my G12 and see what they think of the X100. I thought it was fab.

My other half won't thank me for this pic, but I love the brokeh and the left side of he hair being so pin sharp.

This one is so detailed, I can practically see her finger prints and fibres in the jacket!

Nothing exciting, I know - but the quality of this camera just lept out at me!

Mark Evans Kent's gear list:Mark Evans Kent's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1
Canon EOS 350D (EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS Kiss Digital N) Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow