D800 AA filter

Started Jan 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,979
Re: Excellent link

Yes, I concur with what I think you're saying. The unpredictability of moire makes it sort of impossible to look at a scene, decide you need the filter on, then turn around and take the filter off for another scene.

Instead, I would look at it as "today I'm going out landscape shooting and I'm very unlikely to encounter any moire in my captured images". Compared with "today I'm shooting a wedding and I can't afford to have certain images ruined by moire so I'll shoot the entire day with the filter on".

Does that fit in with what you meant?

bobn2 wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

I basically only did a quick read of the page. Looks like they are basically selling "diffraction filters"? That sounds like a reasonable solution for those that would want 36MP without the AA most of the time, but at times run into moire situations.

One of the big problems with aliasing is that it's image wrecking quality is not really predictable. Not all aliasing is moire, and even that is hard to predict. So, its quite likely that you'd either need the filter on all the time, or else you'd still find a good proportion of spoiled images, just because it's unpredictable.
--
Bob

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
cpw
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow