Color Management Woes

Started Jan 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Many Feathers Senior Member • Posts: 1,832
Color Management Woes

My Epson R1800 recently died and I replaced it with an Epson R2000. I used to calibrate with the 1st Spyder, but I haven't calibrated my monitor in years because I printed from Qimage letting the printer manage color and it got it pretty close. Now that I bought a new printer, I thought I'd check into calibration again. I read some reviews and it looked like great strides had been taken from a few years ago.

I ordered the Spyder4 Pro and calibrated my monitor. I printed a couple of samples from LR4 using the printer profile for the double sided matte paper, using both perceptual and relative. I then printed from LR4, letting the printer manage color with Adobe RGB, which turned out terrible. I then printed from Qimage, letting the printer manage color with Adobe RGB and just like years ago, it is the best print closest to the monitor.

1. Why does Qimage print different when allowing the printer to manage color than doing the same thing with LR4, i.e. letting the printer manage color? I'm using the same settings in both programs.

2. Letting LR manage color is not as good as using Qimage and letting the printer manage color...makes no sense to me....

3. I "softproofed" in CS5 to the ICC profile for double sided matte paper and it totally does not match any of the prints....? What's the point? Isn't CS5 supposed to be good at softproofing?

On all the prints, the person's jacket turns out purple instead of blue. If I softproof in CS5, the jacket looks black...as much goes to black.

I've calibrated 4 times and believe I'm doing it correctly. I've gone through many tutorials and believe I have everything set up correctly.

Does anyone here get consistent results when printing from LR, CS5 or Qimage? Shouldn't I be able to use the profiles in any of these programs and get the same results?

Thanks much for any help you can give me.

MF

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow