S100 - Love the camera, but ~$400 worth?

Started Jan 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tbns New Member • Posts: 23
S100 - Love the camera, but ~$400 worth?

Hello all,

Just purchased a S100 as a primary camera for vacation/everything photos. I really wanted a camera with excellent image quality, but still to be portable enough that I won't feel hesitant to take it on trips. Given the future of higher resolution displays for everything ranging from tablets, computer monitors, to TVs, I want my photos to look great for years to come.

I'm not a photo expert by any means whatsoever. Of the photos I've taken, mostly indoors, I've found the image quality to be pretty good. Not mind-blowing, but that could be because of my photography skills. There are still some images that I find somewhat blurry, even though I swear I'm holding the camera still. Other photos are crisp/clear, and are quite impressive. But I'm not sure how they compare to, say, a $230 point and shoot.

I'm debating on returning the S100 and trying out some mirrorless cameras if they fit my size criteria (such as the E-PM1, Sony NEX C3, etc.) for a week or so to see if the image quality is any better than the S100. Also thought about giving the XZ-1 a shot. Do you think I'd see significantly better quality from those? Keep in mind, I would be in auto mode 99.9% of the time. I'd like to be able to take close-ups and landscape/night shots using a single lens.

I really just want a future-proof camera. Given the direction cell-phones are heading, I don't want my photos to be trumped by an iPhone 5 in a year, making me feel the $430 didn't last long.

On the size and handling front, I absolutely LOVE the S100. Small enough to throw in my shirt or pants pocket, I'm sure I'll take it everywhere. The pop-up flash gets me off guard sometimes, since I usually have my finger in that location. Other than that, on the handling front this camera is great.

Not sure what advice I'm looking for. The store I purchased from has a good return policy, so I'm thinking about returning this and trying either 1) a cheaper P&S, or 2) a mirrorless camera in a similar price vein, like a Lumix G3, Sony NEX C3, E-PM1, to see if those pictures really rock my world.

Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow