Nikon Spanked By m4/3 in DPR Review?

Started Jan 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
TEBnewyork
TEBnewyork Forum Pro • Posts: 11,337
Re: Nice, but not practical for most.

Everdog wrote:

TEBnewyork wrote:

BTW, most of your shots are with F5.6. I guess you could as well use Nikon 70-300mm on DX body and crop a bit. 5 times cheaper, 3 times lighter.

I hope you enjoy those cameras. For most that would be too expensive a combo.
Plus you will need to duplicate lenses which for me is not practical.

I will I know that it is an expensive and not practical for some. I don't recommend it as a solution for most and am not endorsing that as a solution. M4/3 hits a happy medium between resolution and speed. As for lenses I don't really see any major overlaps that I need.

Sony 18-200, 30 macro, 50 f1.8, ultrawide zoom (not decided on yet), fast portrait

Nikon 10-30, 30-110, 40 macro (DX lens can do portraits for now) 70-200, 1.4x TC

I like macros for close focus not and sharpness not necessarily macro work

The best part of Micro Four Thirds for me is the choice of body sizes, and all the good lenses without the need for adapters.

I actually played with a Nikon J1 for a day, but found the GF3 with the 14-42X pancake lens to be slightly smaller, and better in most ways. The image IQ was better on the GF3 IMHO which suprised me too. Also, I could not fit the J1 in my pocket with its zoom lens. The GF3 does fit.

J1 and V1 are very different in handling to me. I would not have bought a J1. I had a dud 14-42x and returned it but wasn't wild about the power zoom. I didn't find the switch for zooming in a particularly good spot. I could get used to it but the IQ on my just was screwed up

I'll check back with the Nikon in a year. I think the were very smart to with the smaller sensor and this is where Sony goofed up. The NEX lenses are too close in size to APS lenses and in at least one case much larger. Long term the Nikon system makes more sense. I worry though that Nikon won't try to compete with its own DSLRs. Time will tell.

I was not interested in the V1 until I used it and felt how responsive it was. Definitely a revelation. Then when you put it on electronic shutter and it goes silent, even better.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow