Nikon Spanked By m4/3 in DPR Review?

Started Jan 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jeremy_T Senior Member • Posts: 1,224
Re: "Spanked" is a little harsh

LincolnB wrote:

... but they were quite limited and specific in any praise. They did not like it as a general purpose camera nor as a 'downgrade' for current DSLR owners. Their recommendation was limited to P&S upgraders shooting fast moving objects in bright light. That's narrow.

They even specifically mention the lowly PM1 and GF3 as superior options in many respects.

I think one of the most telling points is where the reviewer mentions that DPR tries to avoid considering price in a review, and how difficult it was to do in this case considering how expensive they are. These things still score below much cheaper cameras even when trying to keep price out of the equation - ouch.

One must remember though that DPR is first and foremost an enthusiast site and the reviewers themselves are obviously enthusiasts. They can try to get in the headspace of P&S upgraders, but that's not always easy to do. Maybe the Nikon 1 shtick - focusing well on fast moving subjects in good light - really is worth the massive price premium for a lot of people (I wouldn't count on it myself, but you never know).

Jeremy_T's gear list:Jeremy_T's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow