D800 AA filter

Started Jan 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
mattr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,505
Re: D800 AA filter

apaflo wrote:

The example graphs showed a quartz filter that would pass significant data at 120c/mm, all of which would be aliased to 40c/mm. Application of a high pass software filter can reposition the response curve below the Nyquist Limit to virtually whatever it would be without the AA filter, but there is no software that will remove the aliasing distortion products without an AA filter.

The essence is that whether there is a visible moire pattern showing or not, aliasing does produce nice crisp looking artifacts that are not in the original scene, unless an AA filter is used to remove that part of the frequency spectrum prior to sampling by the sensor.

From this appears to follow that it is really not a good idea to remove the AA filter. I wonder what kind of software solution Nikon might be using in the AA filter-less D800. I understand it is impossible to reconstruct the original scene after an aliased capture.

Ultimately, the best solution will be to have sampling rates so high that diffraction acts as the natural AA filter. Until we are there, I think I will stick with the AA filter D800, especially if it is less expensive.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
cpw
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow