Possible SCAM: "...i would like to know if i could purchase photography prints..."

Started Jan 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alec
Alec Contributing Member • Posts: 695
Possible SCAM: "...i would like to know if i could purchase photography prints..."

Folks,

I have just received the following email:

......................................................................................

Subject: PHOTOGRAPHY
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:38:08 +0100
To: nigelcoker@yahoo.com
Bcc: alexander@karasevstudio.com

Hello and gooday

My name is Nigel and i just saw your contact details online now while i was looking for one of the best photographers and must confess that i am interested and i have fallen in love with your photography,so please i would like to know if i could purchase photography prints directly from you for my personal use,also secondly i would like to know if i could have them framed in size 8x10 or 16x20 inches and i would be willing to pay any costs that it may incure and finally if my making a purchase is okay and fine by you please can you accept payment via a check drawn in USD funds,so thanks so much for taking time to read this email and i patiently await your response
regards
Nigel

......................................................................................

What makes me report this here as a possible scam is:

1) My email is BCC'd - meaning it can be sent to many other recipients at once, while hiding them from each other.

2) My name and web site are not mentioned in the body of the email (again, designed to be generic to easily send it to many people)

3) Different From and To email addresses (From addresses may be switched often as a result of them being closed by providers for sending spam)

4) Personal check is the vehicle of payment. A popular scam is over-paying via such a check and politely asking for, and getting a refund, then the check bounces but much later because it's from an international bank specifically picked for slowness of clearing.

5) The style of the prose is excessive and typical of several other types of these letters - constructs like "must confess that i am interested and i have fallen in love with", "purchase photography prints directly from you", "is okay and fine by you".

What gives this message more bite is that it targets photographers (as opposed to pushing a generic scam like retrieving someone's inheritance); it is quite flattering and credible other than the 5 points above.

I did respond saying I do not normally take personal checks, and they would have to be from a bank with branches in my city (NYC) and would have to clear before any order is executed.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Alexander "Sasha" Karasev
principal photographer
Karasev Studio
http://karasevstudio.com

Alec's gear list:Alec's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon PC-E Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D Sony 50mm F1.4 +34 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow