Problem with Vibration Reduction - VR with Nikons?

Started Jan 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Juggernaut122
OP Juggernaut122 Contributing Member • Posts: 685
Re: Problem with Vibration Reduction - VR with Nikons?

Mako2011 wrote:

Juggernaut122 wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Thank for setting the allow for download. To be honest, both pictures look pretty poor compared to what you should be getting with that camera and lens. Total actuation's are just over 1,100 so I'm assuming a new camera. The pics look to be more out of focus than a real VR problem. The VR "on" shot is a little worse but I think perhaps a simple coincidence here. You are using AF-A combined with AF-Area mode "3-D tracking". I think that may have added to the entire out of focus issue. Try again with AF-S and AF-Area mode "single" to simply insure the lens and body are focusing properly. For this, just keep the shutter speed twice the focal length. VR off is fine but do a comparison with a Live view shot (Live view will always focus perfectly) compared to View finder (PDAF...Phase Detection Auto Focus) focus. That will let you see if the focus is accurate. If it is, then you can compare VR "on" with VR "off". Do that in Live View or View finder focus at 1/60s. Go ahead at use f8 as it should be sharp with that lens and around 180mm just to take "long end softness" out of the comparison. I don't think you have a problem yet....just perhaps a little unfamiliarity with how the DSLR focus system can be a little less forgiving, especially with tight DOF. Good Luck

Hi Mako,

I am including the shots I took. I know for sure the live-view pictures are more clear - I don't understand why.

Live View uses a different focus system (Same system used in your P&S) which will always result in perfect focus if used correctly . But it is a much slower system and for that reason not useful for taking fast photos of action. Reaction time is also slow in Live View so not great for taking fast pic of rabidly changing subjects. Great though if you have plenty of time to set up a shot. You trade accuracy for speed. I personally rarely use Live View focus but practice and have lots of experience with PDAF (View Finder) focus. You have to learn to use it and it takes a bit of practice. Notice how changing from AF-Area mode "3D" to "single" improved things quite a bit. You have to learn the system and get good at selecting the right mode for the specific situation.

I see the VR is doing something - most of the shots are more clear with the VF on - but sometimes just marginally (I might be getting lucky with it off sometimes).

In this case at the 1/320s , yes the dif is marginal. With the 1/160s speed shots you see a bigger difference. Try 1/60s. Not every shot with VR at 1/60s will be sharp but many will.....none of the VR 'off" shots will be at 1/60s (assuming the longer end...less of a dif at the wide end obviously). Keep this in mind though, steady hand holding techniques let you use slower shutter speeds than normal. Steady hands also help VR. For example at 200mm with VR off and crappy technique 1/400s is as slow as you might go. Really great technique, maybe 1/200s. With VR "on" and crappy hands at 200mm maybe 1/100s...really good hands maybe 1/30s is possible 4 out of 10 shots. just giving you an ideal these aren't absolutes.

This is all at or near 200 mm with a hand-held, so I am not sure what I should expect. Someone guessed I am about 10 feet from the ball - but I am probably about 15- 20 feet - plus (forgot to mention this) I am shooting through a double pane window.

These aren't bad but the double paned window can really throw off the PDAF focus system. Part of why I think there is some focus issues with those shots in terms of consistency but I don't see any indication of camera or lens malfunction when I take the glass into account.

IMHO the lens is working fine (seems to take nice shots when I am not pushing it to the limits), but the photographer needs a steadier hand and the VF at a given

shutter speed is just not as effective as the point and shoot - perhaps because the larger sensor size is just more "sensitive" and thus requires faster shutter speeds. Or I am all wrong and the VF should be just as good as with the P&S and I just have a bad lens (with a defective VF).

Don't worry about it as it's an apples to oranges comparison....with practice you'll soon be far exceeding the capabilities of the P&S. IMO

I just picked a few of the 40 shots I took - mostly the best I could find.

If there is any other shots with different settings that would be helpful, please let me know and I will post them.

You did fine. Try some (with no glass) using PDAF (with no window ). See how slow you can get with VR "off" then VR "on". remember that the slower you try the fewer will be good but that's to be expected.

Hi Mako,

I forgot to add the 1/60 shots (see below).

By the way, although the shots might look like a nice warm day, it was actually about 20 degrees F outside yesterday, so I am keeping in-doors

I think the shots show more of the same. The VF seems to be working - just not as much as I guess I had expected. Changing the AF-S single mode definately helped.

Here they are:

Juggernaut122's gear list:Juggernaut122's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Canon G7 X II Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow