New AF-S 85 mm 1:1.8G or old AF 85mm 1.8D?

Started Jan 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ProfessorJon Contributing Member • Posts: 534
Re: New AF-S 85 mm 1:1.8G or old AF 85mm 1.8D?

Get whatever lens that will make you take more pictures of your little kid. Now.

Even if it's just use the kit lens that you already have. Don't wait. 3 months in the life of a 13 year old is a long time. That's equivalent to decades for some of us here, in terms of percents.

So that you don't wait, two alternative suggestions:

-The 50 mm 1.8 AF-S. I have one and quite like it. I think that it's very good for portraits (on DX). It's a high quality lens, is fast, has good bokeh, and is cheap. You can't really do much better than that combo.

-A flash. Some of my best shots of my little one are taken with an SB600. You have to learn how to use it (not direct at the kid but use a diffuser or card, etc.)

-If you really want an 85 mm, I can't imagine that the 1.8D is all that bad. You could get that now and just not look back. Before I got my 50 mm, I read about the 1.8d versus the newer 1.8G. I got the new one because it was available, supposedly a teeny bit better, and I have one body without a focus motor. But really, would I ever notice a difference in pictures of my kid? I really doubt it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow