Problem with Vibration Reduction - VR with Nikons?

Started Jan 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,030
Re: Problem with Vibration Reduction - VR with Nikons?

Juggernaut122 wrote:

Hi,

Can someone tell me why this is happening?

1) I have a canon point and shoot camera sx-130 with 12 x optical zoom (about $200 retail).
I am comparing it to my D5100 with the 55-200 mm lens.

2) At full zoom (which are pretty darn close to identical in the 2 situations) the canon pictures are much more clear.

Similar situation but not really a good apples to apples situation. Sensor size, pixel density, and in camera JPEG engine all have an impact. May not be a big contributor here but can be. It would be nice if you could post the full OOC JPEGS for a proper comparison. There is also significant difference s in focus that can cause the thing your seeing. Try using Live View focus on the D5100 for a better comparison of the two cameras (your D5100 PDAF focus may be at fault in this case)

3) settings for each camera
-Canon sx-130: 1/60 iso 200 - image stabilization on - hand held
-D5100: 1/125 iso 320 - VR on - hand held

5) When I turn the VF "OFF" (yes OFF), I can read the "made in china" words much better, but it is still not as clear as the $200 canon point and shoot.

The 55-200 may be having difficulties with it's VR unit. Not an unheard of situation. Some 18-105 units also seem to have a wide variation in VR abilities. May not be the case but just a thought.

Is the Nikon VF known to be not as good as the Canon image stabilization?

Nope...both are quite good.

With a slower shutter speed and costing $600 less than the Nikon setup, I would expect the Canon pictures to be worse than the Nikon, but the canon shots are clearly better.

Many things can cause the phenomenon here...again, try a Live View comparison.

Are SLR's with relatively cheap lenses known to be inferior to point and shoot zoom lenses?

Nope, but there can be a significant variation one lens to the next, be it same model or different price point.

Is my lens defective?

Possible.

Middle image, is Nikon with VF OFF (I am NOT mixing the two up. I do NOT have it reversed - these are the results I get each time - I can see the VR trying to stabilize things while I shoot, but these are the results I get every time)

Just a note:

There are two VR modes. Pre-exposure mode gives you a stabilized image in the view finder and is what you notice when you say " I can see the VR trying to stabilize things while I shoot". This mode has nothing to do with the final captured exposure so no need to worry about letting it finish. When you go from half press to full press of the shutter release button, The VR mode changes. The VR element is re-centered and the VR algorithms change from "pre" to "during" exposure mode. This all happens during the time the mirror goes from down to up. Not sure how it works on non Nikon lens.
http://www.nikon.com/about/technology/core/software/vr_e/index.htm
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/vr/index.htm

Go to the Nikon's Original VR functions button and then to Centering Prior To Exposure button under it.

Here are examples of No VR...VR stabilized in the view finder...and VR with no view finder stabilization (no pause at half press of the shutter release).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow