G1 X preview updated and expanded

Started Jan 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP Andrew Westlake Senior Member • Posts: 2,928
G1 X focusing (and reasonable expectations of CDAF)

OK, lots of people asking about AF speed, lots more bizarrely assuming that the lack of an instant answer means the end of the world (as opposed to me taking a bit of time to assess it better).

The pre-production G1 X using I'm works just fine, but with the usual caveats about contrast detect autofocus. No current CDAF camera works well with moving subjects, and the G1 X hasn't somehow broken the trend. If you want to shoot pictures of sports, or just your kids running around the house, it's not the best choice - you'll do better with an SLR and fast-focusing lens, or perhaps a Nikon One (although that comes with its own set of compromises). This should come as no surprise at all.

In terms of speed, the G1 X is neither record-breakingly fast nor the slowest around. It's pretty snappy at wideangle but, unsurprisingly, slower and a bit less decisive at telephoto. It can't match the insanely fast static-subject acquisition of Olympus or Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras, but it's not painfully slow either. Alongside an S95, I'd say it seems a bit quicker, but not breathtakingly so. It's just quite... average, really.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

Andrew Westlake's gear list:Andrew Westlake's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus Stylus Verve S Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Arn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow