NEED HELP - possible color mgt problem

Started Jan 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Carl S Contributing Member • Posts: 944
NEED HELP - possible color mgt problem

Hi:

I'm having a problem with the color in my prints when I print out of CS4 with my Epson 3880 using Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster. I'm not a newbie to color management as I've used Photoshop and printed with Epson printers since about 1999. I read some of the comments in Jack Zucker's thread but I'm having a different problem.

I'm using a PC with XP pro (SP2), a Dell 2209WA monitor, calibrated with a Spyder 3 Pro. The calibration is working fine as it can be seen in Canon's DPP which has color matching settings for display where you have three choices. You can select "sRGB", "Use the OS settings" or "Monitor Profile" where you can choose your specific monitor profile..

When selecting the latter two, DPP displays the image exactly as it appears in CS4 which tells me my monitor profile is being utilized. When selecting "sRGB" the colors are much cooler and are very flat (unsaturated). If I view the same image in Windows Picture & Fax Viewer which also uses a display profile of sRGB, the image color looks cool and flat also which matches the prints I'm making exactly.This is obviously not what I want. I want the prints to match what I see in CS4.

My images have an Adobe RGB embedded profile. I am printing with color mgt turned off and letting photoshop manage the colors. I'm using the Epson paper profile for Premium Luster Photo paper that came on the printer CD. Could this profile be corrupt? I don't think the problem could be that I'm using service pack 2 for XP Pro (needed for CS4?) because the same thing happens when I print out of CS3 which I still have on the same computer.

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? My prints should closely match what I see in CS4 when I soft-proof in CS4. I make a duplicate of the original and have both images open in CS4. One of the images I view with a custom soft-proof for the Epson paper profile using "View/Proof Set-up/and choosing the custom profile. This image usually needs a slight contrast adj. and slight increase in saturation to match the other open image and that's it. The colors in the print should not look much cooler and a lot less saturated than the image I see in CS4.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow