Sell the 50 1.4g, get the 85 1.8g?

Started Jan 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
walliswizard Forum Member • Posts: 86
Sell the 50 1.4g, get the 85 1.8g?

Not sure if I'm seriously thinking about this or not at the moment, but hear me out.

A lot of my photography is portraiture - home studio, outdoor natural-light stuff. I've just bought a Nikon 17-55 2.8, and I also have the 50 1.4g and the 105 VR Micro.

When I DO use the 50 at it's widest, it tends to be in low-light situations when I'm trying for a fast enough shutter with no flash.

And with the 17-55 spanning that 50mm, I'm wondering if the 85 is a sensible swap for it. 85mm falls nicely between the other two lenses after all.

A bit of a question - something I'm not quite clear on technically. The 'physical' size of the aperture of the 85 at 1.8 is larger than the 50 at 1.4. So if I used both of these lenses at the same ISO, would the shutter speed be faster if I was using the 85 at 1.8 compared to the 50 at 1.4? If so, by much?

I have other thoughts in my mind to figure out - the obvious cost difference, the size difference (I do love having that little 50 on the front, which perhaps I'd miss, but I guess I've got to see how much use it gets now I have that other lens). I imagine the build quality of the two lenses won't be much difference - whether there is that much difference in IQ, well I won't know without trying the two out.

Anyway, your thoughts appreciated.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow