Why The Extraordinary Size of Long Lenses?

Started Jan 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JAF_AZ
JAF_AZ Senior Member • Posts: 2,774
Why The Extraordinary Size of Long Lenses?

Sorry, perhaps a naive question. That said, there's a lot of bright minds visiting these forums. So, I thought instead of continuing to argue the merits of the newest Nikon bodies or whatever (boring ... yawn), we could chat about something different for a change.

I've wondered for a very long time why 'super reach' telephoto or superzoom lenses have to be so damn large and heavy. For instance, I owned a Nikkor 500/4 VR for a short while but found that I just didn't want to lug it around (yes, I know some think that it's not 'that' heavy). So, it sat basically unused until I sold it.

Good grief. We can put a man on the moon or on the ISS (and get him/her back). We can do so many things with microscopic optical devices in the world of science and medicine. But a 500mm lens has to look like a bazooka. Why? Sorry, I guess I am naive. I just don't get it?
--
http://jamesfarrell.smugmug.com/

JAF_AZ's gear list:JAF_AZ's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow