Lens for new 7D

Started Jan 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
The_cheshirecat Senior Member • Posts: 1,169
Re: Lens for new 7D

vadimgot wrote:

My primary subject is my fast moving kids, so fast focus is the key. I was happy with D7000 AF-C performance where I could get good shot on running kids in low light.

Skin tones, over-exposure and back focusing made me decide to sell it and try Canon 7D instead. This is why good lens is extremely important during trial period. I will extend my budget if I have to, but I was not prepared to pay $700 for my first lens.

Would Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS SLR or 50mm prime be a good choice ? Is it better than 18-135 or 28-135 that is offered with the body ?

A good portion of the AF speed is attributable to the lens, and influenced by capabilities of the camera body. 7D does provide faster focusing than the lower grades of bodies, but putting the 18-55 or 55-250 lenses on it you won’t think so.

To get a true assessment of the speed to AF and quality or capability of the camera use one of the better fast L lenses, like the 70-200 2.8 IS mkII. I know it makes the “test” expensive. But if you put anything less on it you are no longer testing just the camera.

-- hide signature --

I started in the 50's - my first picture was taken with a Leica and hooked me for life. I no longer use my Leicas, but I am still taking pictures. Some things never change.

The_cheshirecat's gear list:The_cheshirecat's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow