First electronic shutter vs MLU - A77 & A700

Started Jan 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nordstjernen
Nordstjernen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,876
First electronic shutter vs MLU - A77 & A700

Today I made a test with the A77 vs the A700 in the critical shutter speed range from about 1/250 to 1 sec with a telephoto lens and the lens mounted on a very sturdy tripod. I always want to know how my camera behaves, and this test gave important feeedback. Hopefully others will find the result interesting.

Sony G 70-400 mm at the long end with a 2x teleconverter gave 800 mm focal length. The subject is a detail from the television antenna over at my neighbour. I made repeated exposures to sort out errors (wind, vibrations from the ground etc.).

Aperture was f:16, and a ND 8 (3x) filter was used to keep the same aperture for my 1/4 sec exposure as for the 1/30 sec images. ISO 400. The A700 images are upsampled to match the A77 image size.

I was a bit surprised to find that the A77 first shutter curtain (electronic shutter OFF) makes so much vibration that the results in the critical shutter speed range are close to the A77 with mirror lock up enabeled (2 sec timer). With no mirror lock up the A77 did not do well at all. With electronic first curtain ON the A77 really shines!

For faster shutter speeds mirror vibration/shutter vibration should not be of any concern, as when shooting action freezing sports and BIF with very fast shutter speed, no matter the camera.

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow