Indoor pictures of baby and/or kids 50mm or 35mm or 28mm

Started Dec 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
keeponkeepingon Senior Member • Posts: 1,426
Re: Indoor pictures of baby and/or kids 50mm or 35mm or 28mm

rolandct wrote:

I have a range. I have a 6 week old, 3 year and 6 year. So I need to balance portraits of the baby and kids with action of the kids.

50mm will be tight, especially with the older kids. I use our 50mm for soccer. It's not quite long enough but used right some of the images are pretty incredible with the 550D.

That said, I picked up both of my copies of the 50mm F1.8 for $80. For that price it's a great way to get introduced to a fast primes.

Going wider get's expensive. For me I knew F2 was a bit too slow given how much I lived on F1.4 inside with my 50mm so I went with the Sigma 30mm F1.4. My second choice would have been the 28mm F1.8 from canon.

Fast lenses are a dual edge sword. Especially when starting out, for every "wow" shot I lost a zillion others dealing with learning manual settings and dealing with the very challenging DOF.

And that's another thing. With the fast primes the canon firmware is especially bad. Canon really needs to work on optimizing their firmware. Often the only way I get decent results is in M. The only thing I let the camera figure out is the AF and ISO and sometimes I need to take over those too.

I betcha that's one of your problems with your unsharp pictures from your zoom inside. Motion blur. The canon firmware will often select a shutter speed much slower than what is needed to take advantage of that marvelous 18mp sensor, especially if any of the subjects moves even in the slightest. For relatively stationary folks you want at a minimum of 1/(2* focal length) seconds, maybe faster depending on how well you hold the camera.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

keeponkeepingon's gear list:keeponkeepingon's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS M Sony a6000
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow