Is the Panasonic G3 or GH2 clean at base ISO?

Started Dec 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
SeaGee New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Example: E-PM1 and Nikon DSLR

mfbernstein wrote:

SeaGee wrote:

You are assuming raw files are some standard format and they use the same "software" to convert them.

No, the only assumption being made is that ACR, RPP et al. do comparable levels of NR. And given the documentation and my correspondance with the authors, I'm fairly confident that's a warranted assumption.

Similar amounts and not equal to the same type and amounts, there are multiple ways to do NR

It depends on the library they use for raw conversion, often noise reduction and or other functions may be part of that library.

If they have to reverse engineer the format there will probably be less of that (and color fringe correction etc..)

Wonderful, but irrelevant since ACR and RPP use completely difference libraries, but somehow get similar results in terms of noise.

You are assuming that raw == true raw

Nikon always does NR, their provided libraries do too, the astro guys have pages and pages about it.

Yes, on exposures that last more than a second. Not exactly the situation we're seeing here.

No also on faster pictures, and some manufactures provide example code and or libraries it is not like every vendor is writing all of their raw converters for all cameras from scratch .

Blotchy blue skies have been an issue for decades, even in the film days and if you don't see noise when you are pixel peeping something did noise reduction (and lost data) along the way.

I would rather fix it with honest noise vs having the camera toss away info and make a bla boring sky.

Or they could, you know, make a sensor that was clean at base ISO.

Remember, the sky is just the midtones. The shadows are a whole lot worse.

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

The sky is close to one of the prime colors, so you have one set of photosites that is saturated with two others that are "floating" (vast oversimplification). electrical activity in neighboring traces may cause some inductive coupling in some types of sensors.

Things may not "work" the way that you think they do, even with an electrically and optically perfect sensor you would have some noise because you are shoving light through a aperture, this is quantum mechanics.

As for shadows I am not having a huge issue with the G3, and night photography is my "thing" I do not tend to shoot many photos of the noon sky but m43's cameras noise seems similar to other cameras of their generation/price-point.

Looking at DXO the Sony NX7, Panasonic D3, and 600D are less than 2 dB away in SNR at 200 iso, this is about half a stop, the Nikon V1 is about 2/3's a stop below the G3.

After lugging around DSLRs and fast glass almost every day for a few years I am loving how light the G3 is for a walking around camera.

Faster glass would be nice though.

I have attached a photo from the first night I had the G3, it is not a great image it is only relevant because it was taken an hour or so after I picked up the camera.

Personally it exceeded my expectations, which were low for an evil camera.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
odl
odl
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow