I repaired my D3, saved $400 (rear LCD foggy)

Started Dec 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Todd Hargis Senior Member • Posts: 2,293
I repaired my D3, saved $400 (rear LCD foggy)

I was able to repair my D3 after reading a post on this forum or some other forum about heating the glass up with a hair dryer just enough to get the glass seperated from the D3 body. I was nervious at first because I did not know what to expect, but the process was rather easy and i did end up chipping the old glass in the lower left corner some because i did not have the thinnest of micro screw drivers. I also used an X-acto knife blade to help with the removal. Getting the glass off of the D3 body was the hardest part. I had the new glass and gasket installed within 15 minutes. I ordered the glass LCD cover and double sided tape from here: shipping was just a few dollars and total cost was about $27.00

http://www.procamerarepair.com/NIKON-D3-LCD-WINDOW-DISPLAY-AND-ADHESIVE-TAPE_p_207.html

It arrived in 4 days (CA to TX). Now the display is clear and clean and I saved $400 doing it myself. Yes Nikon was going to charge me nearly $400 to repair it. It's an easy task but you need to go slow and be careful, also work in a clean work space. For those on the fence about doing this yourself, I encourage you to do so. It's really not that bad. Just work a a calm easy pace. The Nikon rear LCD glass actually had adhesive on it already. But the kit comes with an extra piece.

Todd

Nikon D3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow