How could I have improved these?

Started Dec 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Doug Pardee
Doug Pardee Veteran Member • Posts: 8,232
Re: How could I have improved these?

Improved in what way? What don't you like about them, and what do you like about them?

There are an infinite number of answers to your open-ended question, including an infinite number of "correct" answers for some definition of the word correct . Photography is an art, and contrary to popular opinion, there is no absolute "correct."

Also, you didn't say if you meant you wanted to know how you could have taken a better photo, whether the photos should or shouldn't make the cut during culling, or how best to adjust them in post-processing.

Specific advice:

Taking: For the first photo, fill-flash would have done wonders. The second photo probably could have benefited from fill-flash, too.

Culling: In this day of everyone doing post-processing, there's a strong tendency to try to "save" every photo. Personally, I think that's misguided. Will we really have use for hundreds of thousands of photos in our old age? I think not. I think we should concentrate on the good photos, and let the weak ones go. Most photographers have a "keeper" rate of 10% or lower, and most pros probably have an even lower "keeper" rate due to higher standards. I'd give the first one an immediate heave-ho and not waste any time on it.

Post-processing: I like B&W. For me , a conversion to B&W would be an improvement on the second photo. You might not think that B&W is an improvement, and that's an important consideration. They're your photos, and you get to decide what they should look like.

-- hide signature --

The LightZombie Project: volunteers keeping LightZone viable for current licensees. http://lightzombie.org/

Doug Pardee's gear list:Doug Pardee's gear list
Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-T10 Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS LG G5 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow